Retailers, restaurants and service businesses, as well as housing, are changing the landscape in Bluffton and Hilton Head. Here's the latest in new construction, renovations, relocations, planned projects, commercial transactions, grand openings and closings.
- Vantage Pointe Apartments at Bluffton Park. Ground was broken Nov. 1 for this new apartment complex located southwest of Red Cedar Street and the Bluffton Parkway. Plans call for the gated community to feature 108 one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments. Rental prices will range from $1,370 to $1,700, and all will include higher-end amenities.
Construction is expected to be complete in early 2020. David Staley, founder of Main Street Realty on Hilton Head, is the registered agent for the two LLC developers involved in the project.
- The Walk at Bluffton Square, 142 Burnt Church Road, Bluffton. This national homebuilder plans on constructing 51 homes on 20 acres with prices starting in the low $300,000s, according to its website. It will be located less than a mile from Old Town and will feature a community pond with a walking trail, a firepit and benches.
- NextLoft Apartments, 1376 Fording Island Road, Bluffton. Renovations are completed at this pet-friendly complex that offers studio and one-bedroom units for rent.
- Hilton Head Island Airport, 120 Beach City Road, Hilton Head. American Airlines announced it will begin flights to and from Washington D.C.'s Reagan National Airport in May 2019. United Airlines previously announced it will add Washington Dulles International Airport to its schedule to the island in March 2019. The local airport's $27 million runway extension was completed this summer.
Grand openings, ribbon cuttings and closings:
- Okatie Pines Retirement Community, 142 Okatie Center, Hardeeville, ribbon cutting Nov. 14. Resort Lifestyle Communities is building this 128-unit facility with studio and one-, two- and three-apartment options at Okatie Crossing, U.S. 278 and S.C. 170.
The rental arrangement is month-to-month. On-site dining, concierge services, transportation, room service and housekeeping are among the amenities.
- Birdie James, 52 Calhoun St., Bluffton. This chic apparel and accessories retailer recently opened its second location here. The first on Hilton Head opened in 2016.
- University of South Carolina Beaufort, One Sand Shark Drive, Hilton Head, ribbon cutting Nov. 14. The $25 million campus opened its doors for students in the baccalaureate program in hospitality management.
- Jimmy John's, 21 Bluffton Road (Kittie's Crossing), Bluffton. The gourmet sandwich franchise recently opened, offering wraps and subs in a variety of all-natural meats, sauces and toppings, and sides on its extensive menu. Local produce and fresh breads are standard fare.
- Broken Egg Café, 430 William Hilton Parkway. (Sea Turtle Marketplace), Hilton Head. Southern-inspired breakfast, brunch and lunch are on the menu daily from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. at its new location. A variety of Eggs Benedict, omelets and scramblers, pancakes, protein bowls, sandwiches and salads, traditional breakfast classics, sides, juices and beverages are offered.
- Hope Performance Systems, 460 William Hilton Parkway, Hilton Head. Therapy specialists provide a collaborative and integrative method of counseling, including a digital imaging system, to help clients achieve enhanced physical and mental well-being.
Therapists focus on individual, family and marriage counseling, addressing relationship issues, depression, drug abuse and other conditions.
Have Bluffton or Hilton Head business news (new construction relocations, expansions, openings, ownership changes, etc.) to share? Send information to Dean Rowland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lowcountry resident Dean Rowland is a veteran senior editor and freelance writer.